• Bomba (Melbourne)

The new hot spot in the city, Bomba, had hype before it even served lunch.  Meeting for tapas and drinks early one evening, I was greeted by socially awkward wait staff who seemed uncomfortable with conversation.  It was all good, my friend was to arrive soon.

Declining the staple main of paella, we shared a number of tapas and shared plates.

The tortilla was with soft potatoes and moist egg – nothing worse than a dry tortilla – but without full caramelisation of the typical Spanish style.  The paprika alioli gave a tang of flavour and overall I liked this enough to order another when I was still hungry.


The broadbeans and goats’ curd toasts were interesting with freshly cooked beans and crumbles of curd.  The flavours of healthy green and creamy cheese complemented.


The freekah and cauliflower salad was a larger, more filling, dish flavoured with mint, pomegranate seeds and sumac. I enjoyed the crunch of the pinenuts and seeds along the freekah.  It was tasty and refreshing.


The patatas bravas were cooked well enough and served with a creamy mayo.


The food overall was pleasant but slightly flat of my expectations.  This saddened me as I knew it had received positive reviews.  Despite many thinking Spanish too meaty, some of my best meals have been in Spain.  Perhaps I hope for too high a standard.

Bomba
103 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne 3000
03 9077 0451
Bomba Downstairs on Urbanspoon