• Ruckers Hill Cafe (High St, Northcote)

Over the past year I have reconnected with school friends.  Whether it was the timing or chance, but for some reason, we started indulging in regular group brunches and chatting like animated school girls again.  The meeting point for our last brunch was Ruckers Hill Cafe.

This little spot has a laid-back atmosphere and relaxed but friendly service.  In this neck of the woods they assume there will be vegetarians/vegans in the midst and the waiter kindly explained what was in each meal.  The fresh juices were popular with my friends, as were the zucchini and corn fritters which all of them ordered and enjoyed.

Wanting some protein, I chose the vegetarian breakie of toast with pesto, eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes and eggs (which I asked to be poached).  I liked the idea of pesto and eggplant with eggs.  The tomatoes were firm but the eggs well poached.  It was an enjoyable meal but one that I could have easily made at home.


The staff did not appear bothered by our long, lazy brunch.  We relaxed, enjoying the day and each others’ news.

Ruckers Hill Cafe
212 High Street
Northcote 3070
03 9482 3998

Ruckers Hill Cafe on Urbanspoon