• Felfela - apparently for vegetarians.

Felfela
15 Sharia Hoda Shaarawi Street
Dowtown Cairo

According to its menu, the founder of Felfela “thought of establishing a quality restaurant that offered health food and vegetarian dishes based on Traditional Egyptian Cuisine.”

Reading through the menu, I couldn’t work out why there were no felafels – then I realised the name was Felfela – not felafel.  Despite its claim, most of the menu is meat.

The restaurant was hard to find with its unobtrusive entrance.  The décor inside is less subtle with calming fish tanks and over-the-top decorations.


I ordered Foul Alexandrian style with onion and parsley.  The dish was nicely presented but I decided that I did not like foul… especially when served with raw onions (my nightmare from the school dininghall).  I am sure it was well made.  I just didn’t like it.


The other dish brought to my table was slices of fried eggplant with a pepper sauce.  The eggplant was so dry it was almost unrecognisable as that vegetable, but I liked it that way it seems a lot healthier than the usual drenched in oil option.


For dessert was yoghurt with honey (the honey tastes better in Egypt).  I should have and would have ordered Om Aly if I were not still adjusting to the heat.


It was a pleasant meal in a calming atmosphere juxtaposed against the busy city centre.