• A touch of France in Bourke Street

De La France
247 Bourke Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
03 9663 0255
www.delafrance.com.au

Nothing cheers me up more on a cold Melbourne day than the thought of travelling to an exotic destination with warmer weather and delicious food.  France will do, and De La France is enough to make me think of being in Toulouse visiting every bakery I come across to compare the pain au chocolat.


The De La France on Bourke Street is busy at lunch times. I rarely think of going to this establishment, but craving a baguette, I found myself there ordering one with egg mayo and salad.  The baguette was crusty and fresh.  The egg mayo was creamy and flavoured with spring onions.  It was a healthy meal whilst being exciting.


There were several pastries and the chocolate almond croissant I ordered really hit the spot; light crunchy pastry with flavoursome almond praline and smooth chocolate.


De La France is a franchised bakery with its other outlets in Sydney.  I would naturally associate the word franchise with poor quality, but in this instance, it is not the case.  The Bourke Street store has stayed true to the essence of the French patisserie for the last ten years.  Mmmm, what could be more mouth-watering than a freshly made baguette and pastry.