• Afghan Gallery Restaurant

327 Brunswick St
Fitzroy 3065
03 9417 2430

After discovering the usuals of the inner north too busy to find us a table last Friday, my friend and I wandered along Brunswick Street, eventually finding ourselves out the front of the Afghan Gallery Restaurant. I had had this place on my mental list for some time, but as with any longer term unwritten reminders, the prompt had becoming hazy.

Despite the busy streets outside, Afghan Gallery Restaurant had only two tables filled. On top of that, their CD player loudly filled the space with clam traditional music, which was a bit too relaxing for us after the rush of finding a last minute place to eat when we were hungry.

We ordered the dips to start. They were delicious with more garlic and herbs than expected. There were several vegetarian options. I ordered the rice with beans served with veggies. The food took forever. My friend was timing it up to about 50 minutes. We were starving and grumpy by the time it arrived and I had to move my car in between to avoid the ruthless parking inspectors.

When the food finally arrived, we ate it quickly. My vegetable dish was in a tasty curry-like sauce and the rice was topped with a herbed yoghurt. I had not eaten Afghani food before and really enjoyed the experience.

The service was friendly, despite being extremely slow. This and the atmosphere, mean that you have to be calm to fully enjoy the experience of eating here.



Afghan Gallery on Urbanspoon