• Rococo (Acland Street)

Acland Street has changed.  There.  I’ve said it.  Once filled with funky boutiques, cafes and cake shops, it is now succumbing to chain stores and swanky restaurants.  It ain’t all bad.  Rococo is on the posher side of this diverse neighbourhood and whilst white linen can be intimidating, the food and service are welcoming enough to make you feel at ease.

Lunch is heavy – pastas, pizzas, this is not the place to come for a healthy snack.  I ordered the mushroom gnocchi upon recommendation.  Other vegetarian options are tomato gnocchi and pizza.

Our chosen wine was the Katnook Estate 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon.  Its scent was of strawberries.  Tannins held it up without being overpowering and herbaceous oak dominated the finish, softening to rosemary.

The gnocchi smelt delicious with its creamy, cheesy sauce.  The sauce was tasty with parmesan, mushrooms and cream, but the gnocchi was a little firm.


Service was eye candy, perhaps like the pretentious crowd of being-to-be-seeners desire – and for everyone else, well, yes, it is still nice.

The atmosphere is between formal and chic.  There are other Italian eateries in the area, but Rococo was better than I had expected.  I enjoyed my meal and relaxed in the cool surroundings.

Rococo
87 Acland Street
St Kilda 3182
03 9525 3232
www.rococo.net.au

Rococo Acland St on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. I went to Rococo in February for a Melbourne Food and Wine festival dinner. I really enjoyed the food. After 14 weeks in China, I'm dying for some great Italian food. Service was eye candy but the one who served us was also very knowledgeable about food so I didn't complain. Your post has reminded me of why I must go back. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I always crave pizza when I travel, pizza and phad thai. I want to go back to Itali.Co - I tried going for lunch there the other day but it is only open for lunch on Fridays and weekends. You must try Morris Jones on Chapel Street. I was invited there recently and it was the best meal I have had in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza and phad thai are two of my favourite foods. I haven't had good phad thai for a long time. I'm always on the lookout for a good one. However, Itali.Co and Morris Jones are top on my list! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! You will have to let me know what you think. I doubt you'll be disappointed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went to Rococo for dinner last Sunday. We were hungry and started with four kinds of dips (olive, artichoke, eggplant and beetroot) served with bread. They were really delicious - so delicious that we asked for another serving of bread. Fresh bread is a weakness of mine but it meant that I was quite full by the time our main (pasta) arrived. The pasta was ok - it lacked punch in terms of flavour. The dinner ended on a high note. The cannoli stuffed with ricotta was very good. There were two so ordering one dessert to share was just right especially if you are already full. Went home feeling very full and satisfied. My first Italian meal since coming home :-)) Ros

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed the meal in the end. I am wondering what their pizzas are like. I think it would be a pleasant spot for a glass of wine and some dips as summer comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely go for the dips. I enjoyed my glass of Shiraz too. Actually, the dips and bread were filling enough for me. Ros

    ReplyDelete