• Don Don (Melbourne CBD)

It’s fast food.  Fast.  Within 15 seconds of ordering, a bowl of tofu curry don was being thrust at me, so I could then join the gathers of diners who have made this food court/dining hall style eatery a favourite.


The tofu curry don is the only vegetarian option, and perhaps the other choices are more interesting.  My tofu curry don was served in a giant white bowl with the curry sauce steaming.  It was spicy with the traditional Japanese curry flavour.  The tofu had been grilled and tasted as such too.  The zucchini was strangely cool in the middle but soaked up the heat from the curry on the outside.  The carrot was soft through from stewing.  The radish was slightly pickled.  And rice was, well, rice.

Don Don still has some things going for it.  The food is filling and cheap. At $5.90 a meal, one cannot complain.

Don Don
300 Little Lonsdale St
Melbourne 3000
03 9662 3377

Don Don on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

  1. I'm a big Don Don fan! Don Tojo is always a good alternative: same food, same prices, but much better space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura. I haven't been there. I'm not convinced to be honest... unless I am really hungry and want something cheap ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Don Don in South Melbourne advertises that the Tofu Don isn't vegetarian.. there is chicken stock in the curry sauce. Its made me scared to go back to the one in the city... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is terrible!! The one in the city says the tofu don IS vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is terrible!! The one in the city says the tofu don IS vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some places have different concepts of vegetarianism. While in China, my friend and I often had vegetarian dishes as she was not fond of meat and didn't eat pork. Suited me fine as I love vegetables. But quite often vegetable dishes had slices of meat used to flavour the dish so we had to be very specific and firmly state 'no pork'. We had to learn the words for all kinds of meat in Chinese very quickly. Ros

    ReplyDelete