• Farewelling Adelaide with dinner at Andre's

94 Frome Street
Adelaide 5000
08 8224 0004
www.andrescucina.com.au

With little time to spare at the end of my day in Adelaide, we rushed from the river (where I attempted to row) to Andre's.  We ran from the car to the restaurant turning up completely underdressed in our rowing clothes.  The waitress kindly didn’t judge us for our poor fashion compared to the trendy, done-up diners filling the restaurant, and seated us at the bar until a table became available only several minutes later.

I was drawn to Andre's for the mushroom polenta but the waitress explained that it may be a bit much by itself.  While there were no vegetarian mains on the chalk board menu, she suggested the kitchen could make up a pasta.  Instead I felt obliged to try the mushroom polenta but asked that we share the vegetable (non)anti(non)pasto at the same time.

The food was beautifully presented on wooden boards and came out quickly.  The polenta was runny and very salty with fontina.  The waitress was correct; it was overwhelming by itself but still delicious.


The shaved chips (that I assumed were sweet potato) went well with the polenta dish.  The platter also showed grilled eggplant and zucchini, broccolini, beetroot dip, mushrooms, radish and olives.  Each piece had an independent flavour.


Thanks to Jetstar my flight was delayed an hour.  Whilst this meant I wouldn’t get home till midnight, it also meant we had time for dessert – and I heard them raved about.

I had wondered how they made banana donuts.  I was told that they mixed in tiny pieces of banana into the dough.  Fried in hot oil, the banana softened like a perfectly executed fritter.  But these were far more interesting.  The dough was light and delectable covered in the compulsory donut sugar.  I had been told that Turkish delight was usually hidden inside but this time they were filled with hot, melted chocolate.  Crème anglaise was on the side but unnecessary.  This dessert was definitely crave-worthy.


My friend ordered the chocolate mousse.  It was rich and equally delicious.



Andre's Cucina & Polenta Bar on Urbanspoon